Date: 16-08-18  Time: 23:02 PM

Author Topic: Is Dengue Fever Fear Justified?  (Read 3148 times)

Offline Doctor

• Doctors
  • Dedicated to serve humanity
    • View Profile
Is Dengue Fever Fear Justified?
« on: October 11, 2011, 10:39:30 PM »
Keeping in mind all the hype regarding dengue fever created by media question arises should one really be afraid of dengue fever?

I will first like to refer to my practice experience these days. In my observation this fear has grasped general public to such an extent that they attribute most of their symptoms to dengue fever. Yes this fear is increasing the patient reporting to the clinics for those minor ailments for which in ordinary circumstances they do not seek medical advice.

Dengue fever in its initial phases may be very tricky to diagnose. Clinically it may mimic several of the common infectious disorders so a general empirical approach is usually to be followed.

The lab diagnosis is also not very helpful in initial cases though there may be fall in WBCs and platelet counts. ALT may rise and specific immunologic markers of dengue usually become positive after the first week.

Warning for Future!

Nowadays the dengue mostly follows a benign course. We ought to be more concerned about our future. It is likely that any one who gets one of the 4 dengue subtypes now, if he next encounters any of the other subtypes of dengue subsequently, may end up with dengue hemorrhagic fever or dengue shock syndrome  which have high morbidity and mortality associated.

So what to do?

1. identify and eliminate aedes egyptii mosquito.
2. activate a community participation drive to eradicate the mosquito from the locality.
3. Put pressure on govt at all level to seriously eradicate the mosquito and just do not only resort to media gimmicks.

For the time being the danger is going dormant due to the commencing winter and resultant hibernation of mosquitoes but remember folks it is going to come back soon. May be around march 2012 in a much lethal form.
Struggle is the sign of life & till death it must continue.

Dr Malik