Date: 24-04-17  Time: 14:15 PM

Author Topic: Severe suffocation and shortness of breath, help.  (Read 1497 times)

Offline voice65

• View Profile
Severe suffocation and shortness of breath, help.
« on: March 12, 2014, 10:35:58 AM »
I have a little acid reflux problem. From two weeks i'm suffering from suffocation which is increasing day by day, worse today. It's like suffocating to death. My doctor isn't taking it seriously, just giving anxiety medicine. Which are making symptoms worse. My brain and body are going numb. It's horrible. They say my lungs and heart are okay. But i'm skeptic. There's a problem with blood causing oxygen deficiency. It's killing me slowly. And i read bird flu causes severe suffocation, how can i get tested.? I'm from pakistan

Offline dr nawab

• Adhoc Member
  • doctor
    • View Profile
Re: Severe suffocation and shortness of breath, help.
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2014, 12:56:06 PM »
respected voice65,
          i am a doctor by profession and i would like to provide you some information that i hope you might find useful
 firstly: i would like to know that what is the frequency and duration of this suffocation, at rest or during work, nature of pain anywhere?
 secondly : what cardiac and lung assessments have you had so far and what was the conclusion by the doctor you consulted
lastly: i would be grateful of you have any recent tests and lab reports that you might like to share so i can shed some light on this matter and if you have a cbc ( complete blood count report) that you could share

one possibility that matches my ability to think on this matter is acid reflux disease commonly known as GERD..acid reflux also leads to symptoms like chest pain and in some population it can give rise to suffocation and heavy feeling like symptoms as the food regurgitates back. it also can result in a gerd related asthma..but i cannot comment unless and until i have a complete clue about the medical history and the symptoms because this post of yours can relate to anything cardiac and respiratory issue as well more importantly.

so i suggest you make an appointment with a good gastroenterologist it might be of great help

hope this helped you a bit and its least likely to be bird flu but like i said cant rule anything out right now :)

and last

Offline voice65

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2014, 11:19:16 AM »
I do have GERD. But the suffocation never stops, it's constant. When i try to take a deep breath it hurts my whole left side like chest, ribs. And trying to deep breath causes pain in stomach as and i can't complete the deep breath it stops mid way. Recent tests were an ultrasound showing narrowing of esophagus, chest x ray which according to my doctor was ok. He said oxygen deficiency because of some blood issue. He have me tramadol but you know it's side effects

Offline Doctor

• Dedicated to serve humanity
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2014, 08:48:19 PM »
You may need to undergo following investigations to rule out any underlying cardiac or respiratory reason of suffocation.

1. Respiratory function tests including PEFR
2. Exercise Tolerance Test ETT
3. Arterial blood gases
4. Blood CP and RBCs Morphology.

Meanwhile you may take following medicines for 3-5 days if not already taken and tell me the response

1. Cap Risek 20mg twice daily
2. Cap Azomax 250mg twice daily.
3. Syrup mucaine 1-2 table spoon full at the onset of symptoms.

I would not recommend you to take tramadol until your disease has been properly investigated.

Regards
Struggle is the sign of life & till death it must continue.

Dr Malik

Offline voice65

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2014, 10:15:25 AM »
thank you for the replies. From some days i feel some twitching or being pulling on my head when i burp. And how to determine whether i have hiatus hernia? Had a horrible episode of burping and suffocation last night. Followed by fast heart beat. Sensation of something stuck in throat and being choked. Dr gave me bambuterol hcl syrup for breathing issue but it has triggered cough. Anyway, sometimes it's impossible for me to take a deep breath, feel pressure from stomach and pain on left side of chest

Offline voice65

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2014, 10:21:39 AM »
one more thing the wind seems to be going to my stomach and also being stuck in my throat. I have constant burping from many months , aerophagia perhaps. I'm also hyperventilating most of the time. And when i stand up i feel like fainting and darkness before my eyes

Offline voice65

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2014, 10:32:54 PM »
i have it from few days now. Suddenly start
feeling strange pressure / numbness, don't know
what word to use, on the right side of head.
From top of the head to neck below ear lobe. And
ear feels like something will come out of it. I'm
concerned. Sometimes it increases if exposed to wind. What can this be?

Offline voice65

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2014, 11:03:54 PM »
i'm also suspecting hypoxia, how can g get tested for it?